Old Testament Survey - Module 1: Introductory Material
Hi everyone, and welcome to the first module for the Old Testament survey course. In this section, we'll be working through some preliminary information to give you introduction to some background issues that will hopefully help you better learn and understand later material.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Favorably consider the necessity of and the means to study the Old Testament.
- Articulate the 'Big Picture' history of the Old Testament People of God and the overall message of the Old Testament.
- Articulate God's purpose for creation and the 'Big-Idea' themes of the Old Testament.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the literary divisions of the Old Testament Scriptures.
- Place the Major historical epochs of the Old Testament in a general chronology.
There are a few groups of material in this first module:
- The first group answers the questions "Why Study the Old Testament?" and "How to Study the Old Testament?"
- The second group gives an umbrella description of how the Old Testament fits in the Bible as a whole, and some Big-Picture ideas that run throughout the entire Old Testament.
- And the last group gives an overview introduction to the physical location, the history, and the writings of the Old Testament.
In this section, you'll find links to important and supplemental documents for this module. Click the following links to open each document. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. The second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures. And the last group contains overview and supplemental documents for some of the topics covered in this module.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 1
- Group Student Guide for Module 1
- Bible and Textbook Reading List for Module 1
- Timeline Instructions
In this section, you will find the video lectures for all the introductory course material module. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 1. This is a convenient way to view and review the summaries for each lecture. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section is a link to a separate page which contains a review quiz to test your understanding of the objective material for Module 7. By clicking the link, you will be taken to a series of questions, in random order. Answer each question and then push the
Submit button to check your answers. Every question must be answered before you can submit the quiz. At the end, you will be shown your score for the entire quiz. The quiz will be different each time, so feel free to take it more than once. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the quiz.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 1. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- How should the unity between the Old and New Testaments influence your Bible reading and understanding?
- What is God's primary purpose in the universe and how does this impact the life and mission of a modern Christian?
- What are the five Epochs of Old Testament history, and what does each epoch reveal about God and His purposes?
- What impact did geography have on the events of the Old Testament and what lessons can we learn from this?
- What are the four themes of God's design for His people in the Old Testament, and how do these work out in the life of a modern Christian?
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the first module. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed personal growth.
I encourage you to continue on to the next module as soon as is convenience. The button below will take you to Module 2.