Old Testament Survey - Module 2: The Pentateuch
Hi everyone, and welcome to the second module for the Old Testament survey course. In this section, we'll be working through the first five books of the Old Testament, sometimes called the Pentateuch, or the Torah.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Place the Major OT people, events and books of the Pentateuch in a general chronology.
- Explain the main message(s), organization, theme(s), and/or character(s) of the Books of the Pentateuch.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the character of God as revealed through His revelation in the history and literature of the Pentateuch.
- Consider how God's revelation through the Pentateuch applies in the student's life and ministry.
Below you will find links to all the study material for this module.
In this section, you'll find links to important documents for this module. Click the following links to open each document. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. The second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures. And the last group contains summary sheets for each Bible book covered in this module.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 2
- Group Student Guide for Module 2
- Bible and Textbook Reading List for Module 2
- Timeline Instructions
In this section, you will find the video lectures for the Pentateuch module. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 2. This is a convenient way to view and review the summaries for each lecture. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section is a link to a separate page which contains a review quiz to test your understanding of the objective material for Module 7. By clicking the link, you will be taken to a series of questions, in random order. Answer each question and then push the
Submit button to check your answers. Every question must be answered before you can submit the quiz. At the end, you will be shown your score for the entire quiz. The quiz will be different each time, so feel free to take it more than once. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the quiz.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 2. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- What is a covenant and what does the Pentateuch tell us about this relationship with God? How can we best experience this covenant relationship?
- What is God's NAME and what does Exodus tell us about God's character through the revelation of His NAME? How difference does this make for the way we should live?
- What is Deuteronomistic theology? Define and give examples from the Pentateuch. Give examples from your own life. What difference does this make?
- How do the events of the Prehistory epoch help you to understand the nature and state of our world today? What difference does this make for your life?
- List the three themes of Numbers and give an example of each from the Book of Numbers. How do these themes help us to understand the New Testament? How do they apply to our lives?
- What do the theological themes of the Prehistory epoch reveal about the character and purposes of God? What difference does this make for your life?
- What does the lecture mean when it talks about Abraham "helping" God with the promise? What are the results in the Biblical story? How does this concept apply in your own life?
- Describe the promises that God gave to Abraham. How are these promises fulfilled in the Pentateuch? How do these promises apply to modern Christians? What difference does it make for your life?
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the second module. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed tremendous personal growth.
I encourage you to continue on to the next module as soon as is convenience. The button below will take you to Module 3.