Old Testament Survey - Module 4: Poetic Books
Hi everyone, and welcome to the fourth module for the Old Testament survey course. In this section, we'll be working through the Poetic books of the Old Testament.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Place the Major OT people, events and books of the Poetic Books in a general chronology.
- Explain the main message(s), organization, theme(s), and/or character(s) of the Poetic Books.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the character of God as revealed through His revelation in the praise and wisdom literature of the Poetic Books.
- Consider how God’s revelation through the Poetic Books applies in the student’s life and ministry.
Below you will find links to all the study material for this module.
In this section, you'll find links to important and supplemental documents for this module. Click the following links to open each document. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. The second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures. And the last group contains summary sheets for each Bible book covered in this module.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 4
- Group Student Guide for Module 4
- Bible and Textbook Reading List for Module 4
- Timeline Instructions
In this section, you will find the video lectures for the Poetic Books module. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 4. This is a convenient way to view and review the summaries for each lecture. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section is a link to a separate page which contains a review quiz to test your understanding of the objective material for Module 7. By clicking the link, you will be taken to a series of questions, in random order. Answer each question and then push the
Submit button to check your answers. Every question must be answered before you can submit the quiz. At the end, you will be shown your score for the entire quiz. The quiz will be different each time, so feel free to take it more than once. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the quiz.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 1. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- How can the Book of Ecclesiastes be used to reach our culture with the good news of Jesus?
- What does it mean that the Psalms are "historically ambiguous, to be universally applicable"? What difference does this make for how we read and apply the Psalms?
- What are the "real" questions of Job and how do they apply to your life today?
- What is the message of Ecclesiastes and how does it apply to today?
- What is the key to wisdom given in each of the wisdom books? How can you apply this insight to become more wise? How would your life be impacted?
- What are the four themes of the Book of Psalms? What difference does this make to everyday life?
- What are the three "life contexts" of the Book of Psalms? How do each apply to life and ministry today?
- What is meant by "Advance Choices" in Proverbs, and how does this apply to your own life?
- Why does the Song of Songs advise not to awaken love until it so desires? How should this advice be applied in your current context and your personal life?
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the fourth module. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed encouraging personal growth.
I encourage you to continue on to the next module as soon as is convenience. The button below will take you to Module 5.