Old Testament Survey - Module 5: Major Prophets
Hi everyone, and welcome to the fifth module for the Old Testament survey course. In this section, we'll be working through the Major Prophetic books of the Old Testament.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Place the Major OT people, events and books of the Major Prophetic Books in a general chronology.
- Explain the main message(s), organization, theme(s), and/or character(s) of the Major Prophetic Books.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the character of God as revealed through His revelation in the praise and wisdom literature of the Major Prophetic Books.
- Consider how God’s revelation through the Major Prophetic Books applies in the student’s life and ministry.
Below you will find links to all the study material for this module.
In this section, you'll find links to important and supplemental documents for this module. Click the following links to open each document. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. The second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures. And the last group contains summary sheets for each Bible book covered in this module.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 5
- Group Student Guide for Module 5
- Bible and Textbook Reading List for Module 5
- Timeline Instructions
In this section, you will find the video lectures for the Major Prophetic Books module. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 5. This is a convenient way to view and review the summaries for each lecture. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section is a link to a separate page which contains a review quiz to test your understanding of the objective material for Module 7. By clicking the link, you will be taken to a series of questions, in random order. Answer each question and then push the
Submit button to check your answers. Every question must be answered before you can submit the quiz. At the end, you will be shown your score for the entire quiz. The quiz will be different each time, so feel free to take it more than once. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the quiz.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 1. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- What are the four themes of Jeremiah? How does each apply to Christian living today?
- How is the "suffering servant" passage fulfilled in the New Testament? What difference does it make? How can this be applied in your own life?
- What are the six themes of Isaiah? What does each theme tell about the character and purposes of God? What difference does each make for your life and ministry?
- What are the 3 time periods where the writing prophets were most active? What is the general historical background and general message God spoke to each period? How is your own time similar and what general message best applies? How should you respond?
- What does the Book of Ezekiel say about God's presence with His people? How does this apply to our Christian life today?
- What is the main concept of the prophets? Give an example from two different prophetic books. How does this apply in your own life and ministry?
- How is God's Sovereignty demonstrated in the Book of Daniel? Should we expect similar circumstances today? If so, how can we remain faithful, in order to see God's sovereign activity?
- How is God's promise of a new heart and a new Spirit fulfilled? What difference does it make?
- Describe the multifaceted occasion for the Book of Jeremiah and the message that is given for each occasion. What impact should these ideas have for a modern Christian?
- What is the general message of the prophets to each of the main time periods of prophetic activity? Based on this, what do you think God's prophets would say to your current culture?
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the fifth module. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed significant personal growth.
I encourage you to continue on to the next module as soon as is convenience. The button below will take you to Module 6.