Old Testament Survey - Module 7: Toward the New Testament
Hi everyone, and welcome to the seventh and final module for the Old Testament survey course. In this section, we'll lay the groundwork for connecting what we have learned in the Old Testament to the New Testament.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Summarize a review of the Old Testament history and teaching.
- Demonstrate how the Old Testament prepares for the climactic revelation of Christ.
- Describe how the various themes of the Old Testament find their fulfillment in Christ.
- Explain how Jesus satisfies Deuteronomistic theology, fulfills both sides of the Covenant, and brings the consummation of SCRuB.
Below you will find links to all the study material for this module.
Click the following links to open the documents for this module. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. And the second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 7
- Group Student Guide for Module 7
- Bible and Textbook Reading List for Module 7
- Timeline Instructions
In this section, you will find the video lectures for the Poetic Books module. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 7. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 1. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- How do the crucifixion and resurrection fulfill major Old Testament themes? What does this reveal about God?
- How does God reveal His Name in the New Testament? What difference does this make?
- Select one or more major OT themes and discuss how they are fulfilled in Jesus? How does this apply to modern Christians?
- How does Jesus fulfill both God's part and humanity's part of the Covenant?
- What is "Crucifixion Theology" and how does it fulfill Deuteronomistic Theology?
- How are the 5 epochs of OT history continued, completed and fulfilled in the New Testament? How does this impact the history which we are now living?
- How is SCRuB fulfilled in the New Testament? How will it be fulfilled at the end of the age? What difference should this make to the way that we live?
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the Old Testament Survey course. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed tremendous personal growth.
Remember that this course is just a beginning survey of the Old Testament. I encourage you to continue a lifetime of Biblical study.
If you have found this course to be helpful, feel free to try other courses, and tell others about the Scripture Exegesis site. Thanks.