Theological Foundations - Module 5: Survey of Topics (pt. 2)
Hi everyone, and welcome back to the fifth module for the Theological Foundations course. This module is very similar to the previous one. In it we'll look in more depth at each of the remaining major theological categories and give you the opportunity to explore further those topics that interest you the most. In this module, you will continue to fill in your mental framework. Whatever your starting point in each category, ideally your knowledge will grow both in depth and in clarity, and you will be well prepared to go far beyond this course in your understanding.
Module Objectives and Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will:
- Formulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on the nature of Jesus and His work, Christian salvation and life, the Holy Spirit, the nature and mission of the church, and the final consummation of God’s work in this world.
- Demonstrate a commitment to reject false lifestyles and to conform their thoughts, affections and actions to God’s unique design for them as individuals and God’s corporate design for all of human society.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Articulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on the nature and work of Jesus Christ
- Articulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on Salvation and subsequent Christian living
- Articulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on the nature and work of God’s Holy Spirit
- Articulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on the nature and mission of the Church
- Articulate a survey understanding of the Biblical teaching on the coming final consummation of God’s work in this world.
- Acknowledge a commitment to conform their life to be conformed to the image of Jesus and pursue His mission
- Acknowledge a commitment to conform their life to the possibility and reality of their own salvation and ongoing sanctification
- Acknowledge a commitment to conform their life to God’s ongoing presence and empowerment in their life via His Holy Spirit
- Acknowledge a commitment to conform their life to being a part of God’s people in community and on mission
- Acknowledge a commitment to live appropriately and expectantly in light of the eternal destiny of individuals and the coming consummation of God’s plan.
In this section, you'll find links to important and supplemental documents for this module. Click the following links to open each document. The first group contains documents that explain and give instruction for all the course activities in this module. The second group is a set of blank lecture notes which you may use as a companion for the video lectures.
- Individual Student Guide for Module 5
- Group Student Guide for Module 5
- Textbook Reading List for Module 5
In this section, you will find the video lectures for all the course material for module three. They are designed to be watched in order, but each video should make sense on its own. Click each thumbnail to open access to each video. There is also a link with each video if you prefer to watch on the YouTube interface.
In this section, you will find the review slides from the course lectures for module 5. This is a convenient way to view and review the summaries for each lecture. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the slide show.
Click the "prev." and "next" buttons (bottom right of the slide) to move through the slides.
This section is a link to a separate page which contains a review quiz to test your understanding of the objective material for Module 5. By clicking the link, you will be taken to a series of questions, in random order. Answer each question and then push the
Submit button to check your answers. Every question must be answered before you can submit the quiz. At the end, you will be shown your score for the entire quiz. The quiz will be different each time, so feel free to take it more than once. Click the Thumbnail picture to begin the quiz.
This section contains questions for further thought and discussion from Module 5. These questions can also be used as essay questions in a classroom setting exam. It is recommended that you take time to think through these issues in order to thoroughly grasp the significance and explore the application of the material you are learning. Click the Thumbnail to view the questions.
The following questions are for your thoughtful consideration and discussion:
- Describe the Application of the doctrine of eschatology.
- Describe the three basic tasks of the church, which correspond to the three loves commanded by Jesus. How can you apply them to your life and ministry?
- Describe the benefits we receive from each of the three offices of Christ.
- Describe the difference between the visibe church and the invisible church. What difference does this make for the way churches should do ministry?
- Describe one (or more) parts of the subjective aspects of salvation and how it applies to your life and ministry.
- Describe how the doctrine of Christology applies to your life.
- What difference does it make that Jesus is fully human?
- Describe what Christ will accomplish at His second coming? How should this change the way that we live now?
- Describe the meaning and implications of the title "Son of Man."
- Describe the penal substitution theory. What does it mean? And what difference does it make for our lives?
- What is "God's Dilema" in salvation? How does He solve this problem? What difference does this make?
- Describe the doctine of the eternal destiny of individuals? What difference does this make for the way we should live now?
- Describe the meaning and significance of the word "Paraclete."
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the Theological Foundations course. I hope that you have found it rewarding and have noticed tremendous personal growth.
Remember that this course is just a beginning survey of Christian theology. I encourage you to continue a lifetime of theological study.
If you have found this course to be helpful, feel free to try other courses, and tell others about the Scripture Exegesis site. Thanks.